Pages

Thursday, March 20, 2014

My Recent Reading List

Lately, I have finally been able to get some fun reading in.  Since winter break, I have finished not one, not two, but THREE books, none of which were required by school.  Oh, and did I mention that the combined number of pages happened to be somewhere around 1,200?!  I take this to be a huge accomplishment because "fun" reading can only really take place after I read my Honors English novel, my AP Human Geography textbook, and occasionally my Honors Bio textbook.  The point is, my fun reading has gone way down this year, which is really unfortunate for me.  Well, here are the three AWESOME books.  I don't know if the sci-fi/fantasy genre is your type, but I would at least take more than a glimpse at them, because you would be really missing out on some great adventures.



1) I Am Number Four: The Lost Files: The Legacies (Lorien Legacies)
This is just a book of three novellas put together, so DO NOT read this until you have read the Lorien Legacies, Books 1-3, which are also fantastic.  I don't want to give too many details in fear of spoiling something, but here is a tiny bit of information.  Two of the stories are the backstories of a couple of the main characters.  These characters have some pretty epic tales that one couldn't go into much detail in the series.  These stories really help the reader connect with and understand the characters more.  The third story follows the journey of a sworn enemy who ends up being a crucial ally with the protagonists.

Image courtesy of Amazon
2) I Am Number Four: The Lost Files: Secret Histories (Lorien Legacies)
Being that the previous novella set ended on a major cliff hanger, it's no surprise that I had to pick up this one immediately.  The three part book once more follows the unlikely ally, but then cuts to a historic day that happened even before the series took place (it basically describes the event that started the whole series).  The final novella is back to the present day and from the point of view of the unlikely ally.  I would say it takes place roughly the same time as The Fall of Five (Lorien Legacies, Book 4) so it's up to you to decide whether to read it before or after book 4.  I read it after reading book 4, and I loved it.
Image courtesy of Amazon
3) Proxy
I just finished this book today, during a six hour regional science fair I mentioned in an earlier post.  It was über intense, keeping me hooked the entire time.  The author of Legend captures it perfectly:
"Put down what you're doing and read this book. Right now. The complex characters, intricate world, and blistering pace are off-the-charts amazing. I fell in love with this story from the first sentence to the final, epic page. London is a force to be reckoned with."            —Marie Lu, author of the Legend trilogy
Image courtesy of Goodreads

By the way, I don't know the results of the science fair yet.  Friday is the awards ceremony, but I can't go.  Although there is an extremely low chance I'll win anything, if I did, the head person would email me.  In which case, I would let you all know of course. ☺

No comments:

Post a Comment