Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Surgery: The Buildup

In case you didn't read my previous post, I broke my collarbone two weeks ago.  Last week's post was an account of how it happened (the details and such).  This post is about the buildup to my clavicle surgery and how crazy the past few days have been for me.

Monday
Over the weekend it was decided that I would meet with an orthopedic doctor to discuss the pros and cons of natural healing and the pros and cons of surgery.  We set an appointment for mid-morning on Monday.  I left in the middle of second period and got back just before fourth period.  During the visit we learned many things, the most unnerving was that the decision was all mine.  It wasn't black or white whether I should get surgery or let it heal on its own.  That left me in an unending loop of silently arguing with myself, weighing the downsides to each course of action.

On the one hand letting my collarbone heal on its own would mean no cutting into my body, no risk of infection, and no scar.  However, my shoulder would be shorter because the bones were overlapping and displaced 1.8 centimeters.  I would have a large, circular bump where they would heal together.  Lastly, there was a five to ten percent chance that my collarbone wouldn't heal at all due to both the overlapping and displacement factors.  Basically, the bones were not in good alignment.

On the other hand, surgery would almost guarantee the bones would heal as there was a less than one percent chance of not healing.  It would set the bones creating proper alignment so my shoulder would be straight, without a big lump.  However, I would have a scar the length of my clavicle and permanent numbness (about quarter-sized) below the incision because the doctor would need to cut through the clavicle nerve.  A titanium plate would be put on top of the break, and six screws would be used to keep it in place (three on each side).  Although it would be out-patient surgery (meaning 1 hour surgery, 4 hours total time, and then I would go home), I would still miss at least a day of school, something I knew would be difficult to make up.

Which would you choose?  A scar or a bump?



In the end, my parents and I opted for surgery.  The big problem was that the doctor could only do it on Tuesday and that was the day of my AP Human Geography test (something I really did not want to miss).  Eventually, we were able to contact another doctor who would be able to perform surgery on me on Thursday.

Tuesday
The dreaded AP test.  It lasted three long hours.  There were sixty minutes of multiple choice and seventy-five minutes of free-response essay questions.  In between the two sections was a surprisingly good snack break.  There were multiple choices like Goldfish, Famous Amos chocolate chip cookies, Jolly Ranchers, and an assortment of chips (Original Lays, Nacho Cheese Doritos, and Cool Ranch Doritos).  I was so, very relieved when it was all over, like I could breath easier.  At the same time I was (and still am) extremely nervous to get my scores because to me, it was a pretty difficult test.  Immediately afterwards, I went to an eye appointment with my dad and my brother, then the three of us went to my brother's soccer game (where they won 6-2).

Wednesday
I had an early, pre-surgery appointment on Wednesday, causing me to miss first period.  This was not good because I missed a test which was just another thing to make up, but oh well.  I got back to school and went through the rest of my classes as usual.  When I arrived home, I got word that my surgery was in the afternoon, and I would be able to go to school beforehand (yay!).  Next, I learned about all the pre-procedures. I wasn't allowed to eat anything after midnight and and I couldn't drink anything after ten o'clock Thursday morning.


I think it's time for a break.  Whew, that was a long post.  I will add a "part 2" soon, so don't worry!  My tale isn't over yet!

No comments:

Post a Comment