Pages

Friday, May 16, 2014

Surgery and The Aftermath

To make sure I wasn't overwhelming you all with a massive post, I split my surgery story into two manageable posts.  Here is a continuation of my earlier post, Surgery: The Buildup.

Thursday
The big day had arrived.  I woke up, got ready for school, and had some tea for breakfast (remember, I wasn't allowed to eat anything).  The worst part about the day was I would constantly get hungry; my stomach seemed to never stop rumbling.  Drinking tea and water helped a bit, but after ten I just had to try my best to avoid thinking about food.  Overall, I was really happy I went to school because I completed two crucial tests and turned in some homework that was important to hand in.  It felt good to release a bunch of stress and being busy kept me preoccupied from thinking about the surgery.  Every once in a while, I would start freaking out about the IV and the plate, the stitches and the anesthesia.

On the outside, I looked like this...

GIF courtesy of Mashable

But really I felt like this.
GIF courtesy of Mashable



Thankfully, school calmed me down and brought me back.  Then my stomach would rumble and I would think about food again. ;)

GIF courtesy of Mashable

My mom picked me up and we drove to the hospital.  Even though my surgery was scheduled for 2:30,  I was supposed to be there at 1:00 so I could be all prepped.  Some forms were filled out and a nurse took me to a patient room.  I changed into a hospital gown and laid on the bed in the middle of the room.  The nurse took my blood pressure and filled me in on what I should expect.  She was very helpful in answering questions my mom and I had.  As the time drew nearer, more people came in and out of my room, asking me questions and such.  A different nurse came in and put an IV in me.  The anesthesiologist came in an talked to me.  I would also have an operating room or OR nurse take care of me, too (but I wouldn't be conscious for that part).  The surgeon also came in for a short while.  He signed my left shoulder (to prevent any accidents from happening like operating on the wrong clavicle.  The surgeon told me not to go to school on Friday and that I should have someone with me for the first twenty-four hours following surgery.  He left and some time after that, the anesthesiologist came back in and told me it was time to go.

As I laid in the bed, he wheeled me out of the room and down the hallway.  Once we entered the operating room, the bed was pushed up against the operating table.  I was instructed to move off the bed and onto the table.  It took some help (since I was already somewhat dizzy), but finally I was situated.

The next thing I knew, I was waking up in the recovery room, trying to focus on a clock on the far wall and a reddish sign in the hallway outside the room.  It was really weird because I could barely read the time, but then as soon as I figured out what time it was, I forgot it.  A new nurse was there and I must have asked her a dozen times what time it was, what time my surgery was over, and how long I had been out afterwards.  I don't know why I was so interested and for all the times I recall her answering me, I still can't remember what she said.  The nurse also asked me if I wanted anything to eat or drink.  My throat was really sore so I asked for some water.  She listed off a few kinds of crackers and I replied that the wheat ones sounded good.  The nurse left and came back with some water and wheat crackers.  I sipped the water out of a straw, but my throat still hurt.  (I later learned they had stuck a tube down my trachea to make sure I kept breathing.)  After getting me the food, she pushed me back to the hospital room where my mom was waiting. I kept repeatedly asking about the time and the nurse had to remind me to breath and cough in order to improve my oxygen levels.  Finally, I was able to get changed into my own clothes and go home.

Well, this is what my shoulder looks like now.  One
titanium plate and six screws holding my collarbone in place.

Friday
I woke up today at six o'clock.  Can you believe it?  I went through surgery, got to bed late, and I finally had the chance to sleep in on a school day, but no, I woke up even before the bus came.  I had a pretty relaxed day, doing a tad of homework so I don't fall too far behind.  My throat is still sore; I find it best to drink warm or room temperature liquids as they are more soothing going down my throat.  Unfortunately, my pain level has gone up.  At first, it wasn't too bad, but as the day has gone on, the pain has gotten worse.  I haven't taken any medications or pain killers since I got out of surgery, but I think I will need some to sleep comfortably tonight.


This has been quite the ordeal and I'll try to provide updates about my recovery in the future.

2 comments:

  1. Aww Jessie!!!!!!! I am so sorry about everything that you've been through and the pain :( but I hope that you recover quickly! I know everything'll be all right in the end - you're one of the toughest people I know. Keep me posted - I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Geez Jess! I'm glad you're okay!!

    ReplyDelete