Pages

Friday, February 28, 2014

A Silver in St. George / "Dam" Las Vegas

Well, I haven’t posted about soccer in a while, but the only thing I’ve been doing for the past months is practice, which isn’t the most enthralling thing.  So instead of talking about my soccer, I will recall on this post my brother’s soccer tournament in St. George.  We left on Friday, drove for a good few hours, and arrived in the sunny, red rock environment of St. George.

As a result of not doing so well during their fall soccer season, my brother’s team was looking for a confidence booster in winning the tournament.  The first game, they won 3-2.  The second game, they won 1-0.  The third game, they won 5-2.  Now, I don’t what it looks like to you reading it, but those wins felt A LOT better than the multiple season losses, even from a spectators point of view.  After winning all three games they moved on to semi-finals, which was a success too.  The finals was pretty intense; going into overtime and penalty kicks.  Unfortunately, they lost during the penalty kicks.  Sound familiar?  Yep, this situation took place before in the girl’s high school state semi-finals soccer game.

Whoo, yeah! Second place!

It was really cool that my brother’s team got second place.  Even though it’s not quite what we wanted, it was still pretty awesome.  I, along with my brother, would like to say thanks to the guest players who made a big impact in helping the team advance.  Thanks Johnny, Isaac, Cameron, and Tommy for contributing so much to the team!

Following the tournament, my family took a trip to Las Vegas, where we spent half a day touring the Hoover Dam.  We got to go down inside the dam to see the massive turbines.  I was crazy how big they were and the amount of water that flows through them each moment.  We also listened to a brief history on how the dam was built.  One interesting fact I learned was that the first and last people killed on-site during the construction of the Hoover Dam were related.  Weird, huh?  They were actually father and son!  And get this, the father and son died thirteen years apart TO THE DAY!  Crazy, just crazy.

Hoover Dam: it's so big!
Lake Mead
This is the water that flows into the dam/through the turbines.
As you can see, the water level is much lower than usual.
I didn’t want to say too much about Vegas in this post due to the fact that I will be participating in a soccer tournament that is held there in the upcoming weeks and I don’t want to be repetitive if I decide to blog about it.

Speaking of second place, I happened to get second place in my district science fair!  I'm moving on to the Salt Lake Valley science fair!

No comments:

Post a Comment