Pages

Friday, January 10, 2014

How did I spend New Year's Eve? Reading, of course.

I didn't light fireworks.

I wasn't celebrating with friends. 

I even missed the ball dropping in Times Square.

Instead my New Year's Eve consisted of a movie and three hours of reading.  Not that I'm complaining.

Image courtesy of Wikipedia
It began (around 7:30) with Tom Hanks starring as Forrest Gump in the 1994 movie Forrest Gump (didn't see that one comin', did ya).  I, for one, was really impressed.  I had no idea what the movie was going to be about, and when I asked my parents, they gave me nothing.  So I came in with low expectations and I was pretty happy with it.  Although it wasn't the action-packed, special effects filled film that peaks my interest the most, but it definitely had a lot of emotion along with a very good plot line.  Forrest Gump is just the kind of character that amazes you with how he takes everything, good and bad.  I also liked how it had a happy and complete ending.  For those of you who haven't seen it, I highly recommend that you pick up a copy and watch it.

We finished the movie just after 10 o'clock (keep in mind this is mountain time).  We switched to the CNN channel, but it was too late.  Unfortunately, the ball had already dropped in New York.  Anderson Cooper and Kathy Griffin were joking around with partying people in the background.  I was a little disappointed; I've enjoyed counting down and watching the festivities of New York in the past.  Oh well, I guess there's always next year.

The previous night (Dec 30), I had gotten a book from the local library that I had been waiting on the edge of my seat for.  I had started it the morning of New Year's Eve, but I wasn't satisfied only reading a few pages.  For the next few hours after watching Forrest Gump, I stayed up reading, while the rest of my family went to bed.  Being that it was New Year's Eve, there were many bursts of fireworks in the neighborhood and my dog would occasionally jump up without warning and run to a window barking.  These were unpleasant interruptions to say the least.  Anyway, I think it was about 1 or 1:30 in the morning when I found a reasonable part in the novel to stop and go to bed.  Maybe I'm too much of a bookworm...

Yep, that concludes my epic (not really) New Year's Eve Tale.  Until next time,

"Life's a box of chocolates. You never know what you're gonna get."
-Mrs. Gump

No comments:

Post a Comment